Friday 12 October 2018

Re-Starting my Blog









It’s been almost a year – a year of sadness and grief with my sister’s bone cancer getting worse and invading her brain.  I lost my best quilting buddy and sister all-in-one.  She was a fearless quilter – persevering on any project she began until it was finished.  Last year about now, she said she had two quilts left in her (for her great granddaughters), but that didn’t stop her working on a few other projects until she ran out of steam.  One was the 'Elephant and Me' quilt and the other was a Sunbonnet Sue and Sam quilt that her friends quilted and delivered to her hospital bed.
Her best friend, Shirley, and I packed up her sewing room afterwards.  My sister, Lyn, wanted it all to go to a group in her town that was teaching single and poor mothers how to sew.  It was terrific to see the face of the woman we delivered all the boxes to!









































This past week, I have been on holiday in the Everything-pumpkin state of Michigan.  I don’t know whether this is true in other states, but when I visit here in the fall, it always seems that this is their favourite food, drink and décor item!  I love it and have finally even tasted a pumpkin spice latte!  Since I drink my coffee black, this took me a long time to decide on tasting one.  Not bad….




The other good thing about this holiday is that I have finally ‘stepped back’ and enjoyed thinking about Lyn and all the other family members and friends who have gone on.  I’m letting memories of them come and go as they like, with some tears, I admit, but no regrets (well, some regrets, but I can strive to be a better person every day!).

So, it’s time to restart this blog and continue with my quilting journey.  I’m not a speedy quilter and don’t finish projects as quickly as Lyn did – maybe because I’m always trying new techniques and I have a tendency to procrastinate whenever I reach a point in a project where I’m not sure how to proceed.  Does anyone else do this?


No comments:

Post a Comment