Tuesday 13 September 2016

The Road to Home Row Along - Day 3

I’ve been working on slab blocks for the quilt bee at Quilt Canada and  for this one I cut apart a panel of images from Northcott’s ‘Oh Canada’ collection and I’m building my slab block around each of those.  By the way, I think I forgot to mention the designer of the slab block in my last post!  I’m sorry about this – it was Cheryl Arkison at http://www.cherylarkison.com who designed this when High River and other parts of Alberta were flooded badly in 2013.  Cheryl put out the slab block to quilters to contribute to a drive to give quilts to the homeowners who were victims at this time.  Tens of thousands of slab blocks and many quilt tops were sent to Cheryl and then she and her buddies finished thousands of quilts and gave them away!
This collection (http://www.northcott.com/product-detail.aspx?fbid=24&colid=512&colorid=864 ) was designed by Linda Ludovico in support of Quilts of Valour (yes, we spell it ‘our’ in Canada).  No matter what country you live in the Quilts of Valour movement is wonderful – www.quiltsofvalor.com or www.quiltsofvalour.ca or www.quiltsofvalour.com.au or www.qovf.org
But....back to my slab blocks.  I’ve been trying to get out of only sewing straight lines to make these, but it’s hard!  After training myself to follow the ¼ “ straight seam to do patchwork blocks, my body doesn’t want to cut that slanted seam.  So some of the blocks have slanted sections and I’ll keep working to add more.  Once I have the quilts sandwiched, I’ve decided that this is the perfect opportunity to practise free motion quilting in the plain sections of the quilt. 





Have you visited the bloggers who have introduced their rows on the Road to Home Row Along?  I’ve picked up a few rows for my quilt about places I love and those on my bucket list.  And I’ve entered my name for some of the prizes being offered.

Here are the sites that are doing their big reveal today:

Tweety Loves Quilting at tweloquilting.blogspot.com






Quiltscapes at www.quiltscapesqs.com




Seams to be Sew (one of the hosts!) at www.seamstobesew.com



Pine Valley at 



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment